Rwanda - an end... - 11th June (but written in October)

 A bittersweet ending

I realise now, when writing about our Istanbul holiday, that I never finished off Rwanda. 

The last day, plane trip and following two weeks were all a bit of a blur. 

When back at the final hotel, it was clear that neither of us felt 100%, and Ben especially, only wanted to sleep. We had a whole day to kill, with full intentions of visiting the Women's centre, but alas, Shrek in bed was our itinerary. 

When it came to getting the Uber back to the airport, I felt well enough to function, but Ben was feverish and very tired. At the airport he sat down whilst I checked in and did the bits and bobs that were needed. 

The plane was not like our journey out - it was packed. They didn't turn on the air con, and Ben felt so sick and lightheaded he nearly got off the plane - but thank goodness he didn't. 9 hours of a horrible flight - I barely slept with a very sweaty Ben next to me who took multiple trips to the loo...

I had to drive back home from the airport and there Ben curled up on the sofa and slept. Between the sofa and the toilet, he was barely conscious. I had fully recovered, just felt a little dehydrated. I was waking him up to give him water and ensure he drank, as I could see he was getting more and more dehydrated. 

On the 4th day, I could barely keep him awake. We rang 111 and as soon as we mentioned the symptoms along with 'Central Africa' it was like invisible sirens went off and I was instructed to pick up industrial strength antibiotics - side effects, possible paralysis - great! They were sepsis level antibiotics. Various samples sent off, and after 6 more days, of sleep and forced water intake, they came back as a severe Campylobacter infection. 

Campylobacter in the UK if found, can shut down an entire restaurant. Another week of more targeted antibiotics, and Ben finally was more himself. 

Thankfully we were back on English soil when this really hit hard, and were able to have the NHS treatment meaning Ben didnt actually die - I think we were very close to hospitalisation! 

So would we recommend Rwanda?

Yes. It was great. Easy startercountry for Africa, you can self navigate, and it gfelt very safe. 

I recommend doing as much research as you can find, and be aware of fake reviews, but ultimately Kingfisher Travel were fantastic. 

Don't eat any samosas from a garage and you should be fine!! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Proposed Itinerary - Follow our journey!

Nyungwe National Park and Journey to Kivu - 5th June

Journey to Gisakura and Kings Palace - 4th June